How do extracts benefit anti-aging products?
Created by Dr. Razak clinical Pharmacy scientist
Bill Soukup formulator
|Article at a Glance
·Aging can be natural or premature. Natural aging occurs with age, which can be slow down with natural extracts and lifestyle. Premature aging is due to bad habits, sun exposure, smoking, frequent alcohol consumption, stress, etc.
·Organic Skincare with botanical ingredients is best, such as Green Tea, Soybean. Dill seed, Damascus Rose, Hibiscus, Rosehips. Aloe Vera and Licorice Root, which provide tremendous benefits to skin and overall fitness.
·Synthetic cosmetics, in contrast to natural organic products, cause adverse effects like skin irritation, etc.
Aging is a natural process that continues over time. There are two types of aging, that’s premature and natural aging. Premature aging is due to bad habits, sun exposure, smoking, frequent alcohol consumption, stress, etc. While natural aging is a process that runs out at any time with age, our aging can’t be stopped. However, we can slow down the aging process by adopting a good lifestyle, staying out of the sun, and healthy eating and living habits. Skin aging can also slow down via well-made plant extracts and well-made cosmetic formulations.
As we age collagen and elastin become fragmented and thick, indicative of the cross-linking that causes sagging and wrinkle formation. The primary culprits are dehydration, inflammation, loss of moisture, and the slowdown of cell turnover.
Hyaluronic acid, besides elastin and collagen, is a natural component of the skin and maintains the elasticity and firmness of the skin. Hyaluronic acid is a carbohydrate found naturally in all of our body’s tissues, 50% of the Hyaluronic Acid in our body is in our skin. As we age, the natural Hyaluronic Acid in our skin decreases, making our skin look dry and bumpy. This leads to a loss of strength and flexibility. Hyaluronic acid can improve the moisture content of the skin while strengthening the outer layers of the skin. This makes our skin soft, supple, and desirable. There are no known herbs that contain Hyaluronic Acid, or specific foods, however, some plant material may stimulate the body’s natural production of Hyaluronic Acid.
The signs of aging are into two groups. Early and advanced; The first signs of aging can be treated with a combination of anti-aging products, while the more advanced signs of aging require specialized and modified treatment because they developed with time.
This is scientifically true that natural skin care products are better than other skincare products containing chemicals because they provide the appropriate essence to our body, which is desirable for anti-aging effects. Bioactive (living) non-denatured (killed) botanical extracts have many know and unknown benefits for skincare. Over 90% of the ingredients of an organic skincare product come from plant sources. Usually, natural skincare products do not cause any irritation or side effect. Natural skin care products are safer and more effective than synthetic skincare products. The best skincare products are those that offer many benefits by moisturizing the skin, reducing inflammation and giving the skin a youthful look. Some of the botanical properties that benefit our skin needs are peptides, vitamin A, B, C, E, and K. It’s necessary to avoid synthetic chemicals and alcohol in any skincare products we choose because they dry and irritate the skin and alcohol denatures the natural constituents of extracts. Organic skincare with botanical ingredients is best, such as Green Tea extract, Hempseed extract, Soybean. Dill seed extract, Rosehips, Aloe Vera and Licorice Root extract, etc. which provide tremendous benefits to skin and overall fitness.
Here are the few examples of the mechanism of how natural extracts, impart anti-aging effects.
- Hempseed, Green tea and Soybean extracts contain antioxidants, Vitamin A, C, and E, which improve the tone, texture, tightness, firmness, dullness, and smoothness of skin by removing the dead cells of upper skin.
- Soybean extract has phytoestrogens; genistein and daidzein that stimulate the production of elastin. Soybean is produced from the seeds of the soybean plant. Organic soybean oil is considered very beneficial for healthy skin. It is rich in linoleic acid, which is a type of omega-6 fatty acid, vitamins B, E and K. Properly made botanical extracts using water and glycerin will contain these oils. Powdered extracts do not contain oils.
- Dill seed extract stimulates elastin synthesis by activating dermal fibroblasts, as per a study conducted in 2006 in Experimental Dermatology. The dill seed extract also increases the production of the elastin precursor, tropoelastin. The tropoelastin molecules come together to create elastin.
- Dill seed extract and soybean extracts are likely the two best extracts for elastin.
- White, Green, and Black teas contain ingredients that provide tremendous health benefits like antioxidants, a remedy for weight loss, healthy heart, mind, and skin.